I felt like whipping up a new dress this weekend. I have been wanting to make the Alder Shirtdress by Grainline Studio. I pulled out some voile from the Robert Kaufman fabric line named London Calling.
The pattern is great. The fabric is great. My dress turned out great. Then I had my hair dyed pink. Although the dress has pink in it, it reads as orange when you see it in person or in pictures. I wanted to get some pictures of the dress to show on my blog, and I dislike every photo taken. It just flat out clashes with my new hair color!
I used pearl snaps instead of buttons. I love snaps – so easy to apply and they make it fun to undress at the end of the day.
I made my usual armhole gap fix on this dress. I have slim arms and a narrow chest, with larger boobs. To fit around the boobage, I usually end up with gappy armholes on sleeveless garments. I fix this by essentially making a casing in the armhole binding about 3 to 4″ each side of the side seam, and inserting a shorter piece of 1/4″ elastic to draw up the excess. Works great for me.
I usually wear my hair blonde, so the color of the dress is a short lived problem. In reality, though, this is not a shape that is flattering on my body. I am too curvy for a an a-line shirtdress. The Alder Shirtdress is an amazing pattern, but I am heading back to a more tried and true shape for me. Stay tuned for my next dress…